Sunday, July 22, 2007

Team Folsom - July 2007

Day 3

Buenos dias, amigos! Gracias por los prayers! Yo habla espanol mas mejor que when I got here. No... yo habla spanglish mas mejor. The good news is that I am able to have great conversations with Marisol (who's 3).

Marisol is an aspiring photographer. She gets so excited when she sees my camera, and says "uno foto, uno foto". The first couple of times, she just wanted to pose so I could take her picture, and she could look at it. She got more and more curious about the camera and I was able to show her how to use it. I have to say - she has a definite idea of what she wants to take a picture of, and manages to take really great pictures about 80% of the time (which honestly, is more than I can say for myself). There's a link to her photos on the last blog entry. Be sure to check them out!

Today, we had the privilege of worshiping with the church that Alfredo started here. I have to say that I am a bit jealous of their facilities. We had a very warm reception, with lots of smiling faces. We also managed to sing salmos en espanol, accompanied by only a tambourine.

After church, we ate a delicious meal of Sopas Pollo Verde and some tortillas. I think this is the most delicious soup I have ever had. I plan on trying to get Guadalupe to give me her recipe (if there is one) so I can make it at home. We also had quite the ping pong competition going. Chuck schooled us in actual ping pong rules as opposed to "volleyball" rules. We also stopped by a botanical garden for a little bit, where the kids could run off some energy. After that, we came back to the apartment for a little siesta and to prepare for a VBS that we'll be leading tomorrow.

We've been blessed with the opportunity this weekend to blend in a bit with Alfredo's family and see what their lives here are like. We will be laying tiles in the first house this week and look forward to beginning work tomorrow.

Buenos noches.

3 comments:

  1. Hola Folsom Team From the Laid Back Life Group (LBLG). Tonight we have a small group- Steve, John, Denise, Renee and Rachel. We've been discussing seeing the extratordinary holiness in ordinary days. Hoping and praying that you all have extratordinary holiness in your very extraordinary mission trip. Also hoping that your spanish improves a little! Ha! Many, many blessings on all your work and especially the VBS. Say "Hola" to Marisol for us!

    Via con Dios! Adios!
    LBLG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:10 PM

    Hola equipo misionario de Folsom. I'm glad to hear/read that so far things are going well. I hope you can say the same once the physical labor starts! Denise, how fun to hear that you're connecting with a little girl, despite the language barrier. All four of you are in my prayers as your work continues.

    Con amor y oraciones,
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:39 AM

    Hi all!

    Sounds like things are going well there. I'm anxious to hear about tomorrow's (for me it's today's) work. Anybody sore? :-)

    Hey! If you are learning to put down tiles then maybe when you get back, you can re-tile our bathroom....
    No? Oh well.... It was worth a try.

    Here's a more practical idea:
    I think everyone should gang up on Chuck at some point and toss him into the pool. I mean he *is* a pastor and all...

    Seriously, I hope you will continue to bless those around you and also be blessed by this experience.

    Hasta Luego! (I can't find the upside down exclamation mark on my keyboard.....It must be made in America.) :-) :-)

    Lynne

    ReplyDelete